PIC No. 120: Pails in Comparison (Sept. 26, 2026)
This month, yet one more dear friend has entered Heaven’s presence. In the last 11 months, my wife, Joanne, and I have lost five family members: three brothers and two sisters-in-law. So “going home” has been on our minds—almost every day.
On her birthday this month, Joanne shared some wise thoughts with me. They were so insightful, I wrote them down and I titled them, “The Life Puzzle, by Joanne Pearson.” Click here to view the eight-minute video on YouTube. A friend viewed this and then emailed me: “…a powerful eight minutes.” I agree.
So last night, Joanne asked me about what music I might suggest for my “celebration of life” event. (Now, this assumes that Joanne will be around—after I go home. But that’s the subject for another blog, perhaps.)
For once, I was way ahead of her. I have been collecting favorite songs about the Lord, heaven, going home, assurance of salvation, and comfort. This morning, I found my “HOME” playlist on my iPad—and now—presto—here’s a blog with 28 songs. I love these songs—and hope that when you need comfort, you’ll return to these special friends.
CLICK ON THE LINKS TO LISTEN ON YOUTUBE:
#1. “When I Go Home,” by Acapeldridge
#2. “When We All Get to Heaven,” by Alan Jackson
#3. “Mansion Over the Hilltop,” featuring LaBreeska Hemphill on the Gaither album, “Down by the Tabernacle” (also featuring Nashville Rescue Mission)
#4. “Psalm 34 (Live),” by The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir
#5. “Goodness of God,” by CeCe Winans
Oh, my. This speaks to me.
#6. “Sometimes Alleluia,” by Chuck Girard
#7. “Going Home,” by A Few Good Men Music Ministries
There’s something earthy and pure about this special quintet. They sing with conviction.
#8. “Then Came the Morning,” by A Few Good Men Music Ministries
#9. “Please Don’t Talk About Me When I’m Gone,” by The Four Renegades
(Spoiler alert: this one is just for fun!) But I couldn't resist. I was in a barbershop quartet in high school. Matching ties. The whole nine yards.
#10. “Sweet, Sweet Spirit,” by Gaither Vocal Band
#11. “We Are Not Home Yet,” by The Inspirations
#12. “Does Jesus Care?” by The Isaacs
Yes!
#13. “Goodbye, World, Goodbye,” by Jimmy Swaggart
Joanne found this song for us and her favorite version is by the Pasadena Tabernacle Songsters of The Salvation Army. Enjoy this toe-tapper!
#14. “Far Side Banks of Jordan,” by Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash
Our dear friends, Dick and Meri Nelson, introduced us to this poignant song. Love it!
#15. “He Will Hold Me Fast (Live),” by Keith & Kristyn Getty and Selah
#16. “God’s Choir,” by The London Festival of Male Choirs
On my bucket list was to visit the North Wales Choir Festival some year. (Might still happen?) If not…please play this at “my” event—and please clap along.
“I heard a thousand trumpets sounding out His Glory,
Telling the story how He came to earth to die;
I heard a million voices praise the name of Jesus,
Singing in God's choir in the sky.”
#17. “In Christ Alone,” by Maranatha! Instrumental
#18. “Come Ye Disconsolate,” by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway
Oh, my. If you need a good cry, play this. But you’ll also be encouraged:
“Joy of the desolate, light of the straying,
hope of the penitent, fadeless and pure!
Here speaks the Comforter, in mercy saying,
‘Earth has no sorrows that heaven cannot cure.’”
#19. “Little Is Much When God Is in It (Live),” by Gaither Vocal Band
Pastor Mac, my next-door neighbor of more than 30 years, told me an amazing story about this song. (Amazing!) Read the story here. View the video here, "The Prayer in Pasadena."
#20. “Depth of Mercy! Can There Be?” by The London Fox Singers
#21. “Bless This House,” by Vocal Majority
#22. “Be Still, My Soul,” by Vocal Majority
#23. “Fly to Heaven Medley: I’ll Fly Away / I Surrender All / Down to the River to Pray / When We All Get to Heaven,” by Vocal Majority
#24. “No More Night,” by Vocal Majority
#25. “The Lord Bless You and Keep You,” by Vocal Majority
Can you tell? I love Vocal Majority!
#26. “Drop, Drop, Slow Tears,” by Orlando Gibbons, VOCES8 & Barnaby Smith
#27. “I Thought About You, Lord,” by Willie Nelson
#28. “Your First Day in Heaven,” by The Statesmen
This toe-tapper might take a few theological shortcuts, but just imagine—your first day in heaven!
ENJOY! I pray that you’ll enjoy these songs—and that your eternity plans are in place.
"No one’s ever seen or heard anything like this,
Never so much as imagined anything quite like it—
What God has arranged for those who love him.”
(1 Corinthians 2:9, The Message).
WHAT’S ON YOUR PLAYLIST?
Well...if you insist. Here's one book review: The One Year® Book of Hymns: 365 Devotions Based on Popular Hymns, compiled and edited by Robert K. Brown and Mark R. Norton; devotions written by William J. Petersen and Randy Petersen. (Read my review. View the 8-minute video summary.)
MORE RESOURCES:
• John Pearson’s Buckets Blog
• Subscribe: Your Weekly Staff Meeting eNews
• John Pearson’s book reviews on Amazon
• Management Buckets website
• Governance of Christ-Centered Organizations Blog
• John Pearson's Buckets Podcast (YouTube)
NOTE: This is the NEW location for John Pearson's Pails in Comparison Blog. Slowly (!), the previous 100+ blogs posted (between 2022 and 2025) will gradually populate this blogsite, along with new book reviews each month.
© 2026 John W. Pearson. All rights reserved. New blogs for Pails in Comparison are posted every once in a while. We do not accept any form of compensation from authors or publishers for book reviews. As an Amazon Associate, we earn Amazon gift cards from qualifying purchases. As a Libro.fm Affiliate, we earn credits. By subscribing to Your Weekly Staff Meeting, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing.





No comments:
Post a Comment